• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

dried foods

asecin

Bluelighter
i heard that dried or (dehydrated) foods are losing 50% of their nutritional value. is that true ?
if so, how does that happen ? i always thought fried and cooked foods lose the most. :\

It ultimately depends on how the food was dried. If heat was used then yes some of the nutrients and enzymes will be lost as they are sensitive to heat. I would also be willing to bet that some of the water soluble nutrients are lost as well and some may be dissolved.

You're right though, cooking methods like deep frying are absolutely terrible in terms of nutrition. Frying destroys beneficial molecules and creates tons of free radicals. Obviously the best way to eat food is raw. Although a light sautee or steam fry is fine.

i read that free radicals caused by cooking food is not as bad as people claim since i read in journal the stomach lining of the stomach protects us from nitrites and other crap caused by burning. unlike the stomach tho, lungs and other parts of the body are way more susceptible to damage.